Skip to content

Our History

Safe Harbor Credit Union was chartered in 1952 by employees of the Ludington Plant of Dow Chemical Company. The founders established our credit union to provide a safe, friendly environment where Dow’s Ludington employees and their families could place their savings and receive a good rate of return, as well as borrow for productive purposes at a lower, fair rate of interest.

The credit union was originally housed on the grounds of the Dow Ludington plant in a small office located in the building that also housed the Dow employment office and Plant Security personnel. In 1981, our credit union constructed a new building at 1500 South Madison Street, just outside the Dow Chemical Plant.

Our credit union has grown steadily over the years. Several years ago, our charter was amended to expand our field of membership to include other groups in addition to Dow Ludington employees. We currently have more than 100 groups. As a result of our expanded field of membership, we changed our name in February of 2000 from Dow Ludington Employee’s Credit Union to Safe Harbor Credit Union.

In June of 2001, we constructed a new credit union building at 1200 E. Tinkham Avenue in Ludington. This larger facility enabled us to provide improved drive-in services, expanded 24-hour automated teller machine services, and additional parking — all in a location that is much more convenient for the majority of our membership.

Board of Directors 

Name

Title

Start Date

Last Elected

Term Expires

Years Served

Kevin Richardson

Chairman

2002

2018

2021

14

Rick Chapman

Vice Chairman

2007

2016

2019

10

Tangee Pettis

Secretary

2001

2018

2021

15

David Kasley

Treasurer

2013

2016

2019

3

Kathy Courturier

Director

2017

2017

2020

<1

Marcia Hansen

Director

2008

2017

2020

8

Bob Thompson

Director

2017

2018

2021

<1

Total Years of Service

 

 

 

 

50

 

Member. Owner. Neighbor.

Here, you're one and the same.

Become a MemberMember Rewards